Thursday, March 11, 2010

CABE--AWESOME conference!

Well everyone, hopefully you will share your experiences from the conference here. I received rave reviews at mine. No one really knew anything about www.readwritethink.org. I had the best time of my like in my highly animated presentation style sharing all the activities that I have personally used with my students in the interactive section (persuasion essay, biocube, comic creator). Students become generally energized when presenting material via technology. Teachers and administrators were genuinely impressed with the site. In fact, they were emailing/calling colleagues with the data!

Tomorrow is another day and I will visit my favorite publisher, Cengage Learning (Milestones) to see if I can get a banner on my website praising them:)

Downside to the day? A tech teacher with only 3 years just received her layoff notice. My son (Spanish and History) and my daughter (English and ELD) just got theirs as well. My heart aches for them all. All those hopes to change the world are slowly drying up. We can bomb countries. We can rebuild nations. We can feed the world. We can send astronauts to the space shuttle. We can do just about ANYTHING but keep caring, qualified teachers. What is wrong with this country?

Sorry to end on a negative note.

Denise

2 comments:

  1. Friday's conference activities were full of kids performing for us tired adults:) With all the photos being taken, I was temporarily blinded by the flash of cameras:) I worked the exhibitors' hall to see what deals I could work out for my school. Bargains were to be found with patience and perseverance...and I was armed to the teeth with both! Tomorrow, I will be assisting with two more presentations on Inspiration and Moodle. I expect it to go well.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nerves are once again a wreck as my friends and I are preparing for two more presentations at CABE. One will be on Inspiration and the other on Moodle (a cheap but highly effective means to create online classes---we have 8 or so up and hope to get participants by the summer). After today, we visit my son who just received his RIF notice (due to California's lousy budget, he has gotten one EVERY year of his 3 years of teaching and he was at the SAME school no less).

    Back on later this evening.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete